Sligachan Inn/Hotel: Visitors’ Book 1869-1936
A postcard of Sligachan and the Cuillin taken from the Abraham series, circa 1906, bears the caption:
‘The Rock Climbing Centre par excellence of the British isles’.
It is regrettable, however, that records for the period 1873-1885 are missing but fortunate that the early book has been saved.
The important volume1885-1903, the original of which is held in the National Library of Scotland, has been photocopied by special permission. Other books have also been restored and photocopied. Originals are under glass in the small museum in Sligachan Hotel. Also on display is a fishing log (1926-1994), which has been photocopied (courtesy of Catriona MacLean). It should be explained that the Sligachan Climbers’ Archive is a separate archive. Excerpts from this material are not recorded in the following text but short biographical notes on certain climbing personalities are included.
(excerpt, from introduction)
Paperback: 93 pages
Publisher: Portree Local History Society and Mrs Fiona Campbell
Product Dimensions: 14.9 x 0.5 x 21 cm